Social calendars have well and truly started to fill up with Christmas parties, family gatherings, festivities, graduations and celebrations. It is a time to relax, unwind and have fun. While it’s important to make the most of this time and treat yourself, it’s equally important to do this in a responsible and safe manner.
There are many health and social reasons why not to overdo it. Alcohol’s effects can also be unpredictable due to factors like as your gender, age, weight, mental health, drug use, and existing medical conditions. So it’s important to keep tabs on your drinking.
The National Health and Medical Research Council suggests that no more than four standard drinks are consumed on a single occasion. This is to reduce the risk of alcohol-related injury. However, it’s pretty common for people to find themselves over this recommended level. Some general tips that can help mitigate the risks of increased consumption are:
- pace yourself and set a drinking limit
- try and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks
- drink slowly
- try drinks with a lower alcohol content, or keep your drink cool and dilute it with ice
- eat before or while you are drinking
- make sure you and your family or friends have planned how to get home- you could consider pre-booking an Uber or cab
- don’t mix alcohol and drugs (illicit or prescription)
- and as always, never drink and drive. If you’re the designated driver, then it’s best to play it safe and not drink at all.
Lives Lived Well wish you a relaxing, happy and healthy holiday period.
Our 1300 727 957 number will by operating during business hours on non-public holidays if you need someone to talk to. In an emergency, always call 000.