Alcohol and other drugs information, education and support for families.
Breakthrough for Families helps family members and loved ones affected by alcohol and other drug use. The service is easy to access, with flexible options for support.
We offer this service across the following locations:
- Brisbane North and South (including surrounding regions of Caboolture, Redlands and Beaudesert)
- Sunshine Coast (including Nambour and Gympie)
- Townsville (including Charters Towers, Hughenden and Palm Island)
- Cairns (including Port Douglas, Tablelands and Innisfail)
The program consists of free public information and education sessions, as well as individual appointments for family members and loved ones.
The information sessions are free and best suited for families wanting to learn more about drug and alcohol impacts, support and strategies. If you get in touch with one of our teams, we can notify you of upcoming events.
The sessions run for about 2 hours and educate about:
- understanding substance use and its impact on physical and mental health
- strategies to stay safe and help talk about substance use as a family
- practical plans to support loved ones
- reducing the harms around substance use
- skills to navigate support systems, and address barriers to seeking help.
Our teams are also able to assist family members and loved ones on an individual basis. As a part of these, our counsellors will work with you further around your individual circumstances and your family’s journey towards recovery.
These are designed to be as easily accessible as possible: our Breakthrough for Families teams can even work with you through outreach, which means they can meet in places of your choice, that are easily accessible and safe. This could be a community space or even your own home.
Through these appointments we can also help you with connection and referral to any of our other services and other community services outside of alcohol and drug support.
How do I get started?
While we happily accept referrals, you don’t need one. Just give us a call on 1300 727 957 to chat about how we can help and for more information. You can also use our online enquiry page and a member of our intake team will get in touch with you.
Upcoming drug and alcohol information sessions
We’re still here for you. In response to COVID-19, we are temporarily ceasing our face-to-face group information sessions to safeguard the health of clients, staff and their families. We are now providing virtual information sessions through webinars, see dates below. Please email [email protected] with your preferred dates. You will be sent a calendar invite with instructions on how to access this webinar.
Part 1 and 2
- Thursday 10th December, 10am – 12pm
- Monday 14th December, 5pm – 7pm
- Wednesday 16th December, 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- Tuesday 22nd December, 10am – 12pm
- Monday 11th January 2021, 12:30pm – 2:30pm
- Wednesday 13th January, 5pm – 7pm
- Tuesday 19th January, 10am – 12pm
- Thursday 21st January, 5pm – 7pm
- Monday 25th January, 10am – 12pm
- Wednesday 27th January, 12:30pm – 2:30pm
Lives Lived Well acknowledges the peoples of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia, respecting their continuing connection to land, culture and community. We pay our respects to elders past, present and future.
Lives Lived Well celebrates diversity and is committed to providing inclusive services. Everyone has the right to live well, with dignity and respect. We offer support to all people without judgment or discrimination.